Titling issues in MD

K

KJE2011

Jurisdiction
Maryland
When my father-in-law bought his car, he had my husband as the head in the title and he (my FIL) was the co-owner.
For years now, my husband has been trying to get his father to take his (my husband)'s name off of the title so we wouldn't have to deal with the car, that my husband hasn't even driven. My FIL gave the car to my brother-in-law (no legal papers or anything, just lets him drive it without asking my husband). His brother has been getting tickets, and we told him we've been trying to get my husband's name off of the title since it's not our car anyways. His brother came and my husband signed the title to give the car as a gift to his father. His father never brought the title in, and it is still in my husband's name. They are refusing to change the title information and don't pick up our phone calls. We don't know where the car is currently located, or where his brother lives.
My brother-in-law keeps racking up tickets and we just don't know what we can legally do.

Your husband has as much right to possession of the car as his father.

All your husband needs to do is go get the car, lock it up in a U-Store it Place and not tell his father where it is until he WITNESSES his father getting a new title in his own name at the DMV.

Then give the old man back the car.

Back