Title jumping

Mattd9615

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
I sold my truck almost a year ago with bad head gasket for really cheap. I just saw my truck on craigslist for sale so being curious I looked at the ad. The buyer is selling my old truck with my name on the title still. Claiming he has owned it since 2014 when I bought it. I contacted him as a interested buyer and carried on a conversation with him about my old truck without him knowing i was the guy he is claiming to be. His story changed a bit, saying the guy that works for him is the title owner and he can be there when I buy the truck. Who do I contact about title jumping, identity theft, tax evasion, or other possible laws being broken? The guy I sold the truck to works at a garage/dealership that I recently found out sells vehicles with Vermont registration to avoid mass laws somehow. This guy is selling my truck private sale if that makes any difference.

Who do I contact about title jumping, identity theft, tax evasion, or other possible laws being broken?

Probably the Massachusetts RMV.

I hope you understand that you might not be entirely blameless for this.

1 - When you sold the truck did you put the buyer's name in the buyer's section of the title or did you just leave that space blank? If you left it blank (open) then you facilitated the title jumping.

2 - Did you file a sold notice with the RMV? That would have relieved you of any liability by having that on record.

3 - I read that you could have taken the plates of the truck. Had you done that, it would have compelled a visit to the RMV by the buyer.

4 - Did you write up a bill of sale signed by both of you? I'm guessing not.

Those are the precautions that you should take any time you sell a vehicle. Making sure to keep copies of everything in your permanent file in case something comes back to bite you.

When you sold the truck, did you notify the RMV that you had done so?

Who do I contact about title jumping, identity theft, tax evasion, or other possible laws being broken?

You're free to report suspected title jumping to the RMV. Nothing you've posted suggests that any of the other things mentioned have actually happened or are likely to happen.

I did fill out and sign a bill of sale for him, but I did not retain a copy for myself. I did put his name on the title, but about 3 months ago he got ahold of me because he lost the title and needed me fill out a duplicate title paperwork that he paid for because it was his fault it got lost. Nvm, I just found the bill of sale we wrote up and signed. I did keep a copy of it

Last edited:
When you sold the truck, did you notify the RMV that you had done so?
Surrendured the vehicle plate and took the insurance off of it. I never knew I needed to notify the rmv that I sold the vehicle. I thought that was all part of the title process at the rmv

You're free to report suspected title jumping to the RMV. Nothing you've posted suggests that any of the other things mentioned have actually happened or are likely to happen.

I did fill out and sign a bill of sale for him, but I did not retain a copy for myself. I did put his name on the title, but about 3 months ago he got ahold of me because he lost the title and needed me fill out a duplicate title paperwork that he paid for because it was his fault it got lost. Nvm, I just found the bill of sale we wrote up and signed. I did keep a copy of it

To be clear, 3 months ago you allowed him to get a duplicate title in your name?

Oh well, the bill of sale is helpful. All I can suggest is you fill out a sold notice using the date of sale on the bill of sale, submit both to the RMV (keeping copies) and report that he is reselling the vehicle with your name still on the title.

Back