Title Issue

DavL1103

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hello,

I have a similar issue to the post I saw (below) and had a question. The difference between my situation and the one below, is that I sold/traded in my car to the dealership and it was then in an accident and towed away. The car I sold to the dealership apparently was still in my name when it was towed. Now the towing company is looking for money and and there is a lien on the car, blocking me from renewing my current car's registration (which has now expired). Apparently (according to the towing company) the title wasn't transferred properly? I take anything they say with a grain of salt since they are just looking to get paid. But I guess my question is: isn't this something the dealership should have taken care of and are therefore responsible for? As far as I'm concerned, I sold/traded in my car almost 3 years ago now and at that time that car was no longer my responsibility after that point. What would be the best way to get them to take care of this for me?

I edited out your reference to the other poster because it's a different story in a different state and pretty much irrelevant to your issue.

But I guess my question is: isn't this something the dealership should have taken care of and are therefore responsible for?

Maybe. But saying that isn't really going to help much.

Did you ever file a sold notice with the DMV?

https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/82050.pdf

The ultimate responsibility for filing the notice of sale rests with the seller. That's the only way you officially get out from under if the buyer or dealer messes up.

What would be the best way to get them to take care of this for me?

Depends on how desperate you are to renew your registration. You can pay the towing company, get the lien released, renew your registration, then sue the dealer for your costs. You have 4 years to sue for breach of contract.

Back