Tickets while on private property in Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenno

In discussions that I've had in the past, the subject of police giving tickets while on private property is always right there at the top.

Recently, it hit home. I had a car for sale sitting in the parking lot of a business in the town I live in. The business is open to the public. I got a ticket for having my car for sale while sitting on private property.

Now, also, the city has a statute where they want you to pay for a permit before you can put a car on private property for sale, and you must have a note on your car stating that you have the businesses permission to have your car there.

I've often heard that Tennessee has a state law preventing police from giving tickets while on private property. Can anyone tell me whether or not this is true?? :confused:

This is different from a traffic ticket. You were cited for violation of a city ordinance. Same thing as having to buy a business license.

It's on private property though. How can the city dictate what can go on, on private property???

Any other peeple have knowledge of this area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back