TicketMaster Cancelled Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

alhapeman

Chicago BlackHawks offered season ticket holders the opportunity to buy tickets to the "Winter Classic" via a special TicketMaster sale that required a login name. I logged in and purchased two tickets, then realized I was able to buy more. I bought more, received confirmation e-mails, and my credit card was charged.

Four weeks later, I received a call from the BlackHawks that all but one order will be cancelled because I exceeded the ticket limit.

Between ordering and hearing of the cancellation, I sold some of them on StubHub. I immediately informed StubHub that I would not be able to provide the sold tickets. They now want to charge me roughly $5000 to replace the tickets.

I asked the BlackHawks to honor the purchase, but they will not. Do I have any recourse with the BlackHawks/TicketMaster? The event is in 24 days, so there is time to make it right.

Thanks!

I logged in and purchased two tickets, then realized I was able to buy more.

This statement implies you had prior knowledge of a limit. If you were aware of such a limit and you exceeded it, you are liable. It doesn't really matter that Ticketmaster allowed you to do it.
I would guess that Ticketmaster had a statement on the order page explaining the limit and it sounds like you ignored it. Did they refund the cost of the tickets they will not be allowing you to purchase?
It sounds like Stubhub is not overstepping their rights in demanding the product you put up for sale. Perhaps you should not have listed the item until you had it in hand.
Sorry for bad news.
Best of luck.

-Nick

There was nothing on the site about the limit, but I did receive an e-mail before the sale stating a limit. However, in a very similar sale, the Milwaukee Brewers set a limit on playoff tickets, stated in much the same way, that was a limit per transaction, not in total. Each buyer could buy his limit on each transaction, for unlimited transactions.

I assumed it worked the same way since I wasn't stopped. I waited about two weeks before listing the tickets on StubHub. After four weeks total, the BlackHawks informed me of the cancelled orders.

Is this worth contacting a lawyer, or should I just take my medicine?

Between court fees and the cost of a lawyer, you will probably spend more than $5,000 taking this sort of thing to court considering that Ticketmaster is HUGE. If Ticketmaster informed you of a limit before the sale you don't really have anything on them. It is bad that it took them a month to notice a problem and address it, but I think it may be time to take your medicine. That sucks.

-Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back