Ticketed For Car In Another State With Same License Plate Number

Jurisdiction
New York
I live in Texas near Houston. I received a notice for a parking violation captured by a red light camera in New York City, where I have never been. The notice was sent by the New York City Department of Finance.

The vehicle in the photo has the same license plate number as my wife's previous vehicle. The two vehicles are different makes, models, years, and colors.

After doing an online search, I discovered there is in fact a vehicle matching the description in the photograph with that license plate number and registered in the state of New York.

I questioned whether this was a lowly scam as it struck me as quite unusual and suspicious. I have since received a Notice of Judgement Enforcement from the same department in New York.

I've called the department and the operators have not been helpful. Is this something I need to fight in court?

I live in Texas near Houston. I received a notice for a parking violation captured by a red light camera in New York City, where I have never been. The notice was sent by the New York City Department of Finance.

The vehicle in the photo has the same license plate number as my wife's previous vehicle. The two vehicles are different makes, models, years, and colors.

After doing an online search, I discovered there is in fact a vehicle matching the description in the photograph with that license plate number and registered in the state of New York.

I questioned whether this was a lowly scam as it struck me as quite unusual and suspicious. I have since received a Notice of Judgement Enforcement from the same department in New York.

I've called the department and the operators have not been helpful. Is this something I need to fight in court?

Parking Ticket or Camera Violation Payment · NYC311

You need(ed) to dispute the ticket in a timely manner. Did you do so? If you have a picture of the vehicle and the license plate clearly shows it is a New York plate, yet your vehicle has a Texas plate (with the same number), then this should be easily corrected.

You need(ed) to dispute the ticket in a timely manner. Did you do so? If you have a picture of the vehicle and the license plate clearly shows it is a New York plate, yet your vehicle has a Texas plate (with the same number), then this should be easily corrected.

Definitely not timely. My wife thought it was a scam and paid it little mind. We've never been to NY, her car was white and they showed a black car, the license plate appears pixelated, etc.

It's only now that we've received this Judgement of Enforcement that I've looked into this seemingly nonsense matter.

Definitely not timely. My wife thought it was a scam and paid it little mind. We've never been to NY, her car was white and they showed a black car, the license plate appears pixelated, etc.

It's only now that we've received this Judgement of Enforcement that I've looked into this seemingly nonsense matter.
You're going to have to keep trying to get through to the folks in New York, however, your earlier inaction may mean that it's too late.
I don't know how much money we're talking here, but it might be cheaper just to pay it and move on.

Was your wife even the owner of the vehicle at the time of the violation? If not. It is a wonder why this didn't go to the new owner.

Was your wife even the owner of the vehicle at the time of the violation? If not. It is a wonder why this didn't go to the new owner.
The OP's car is a Texas car that happens to have the same tag number as a New York car. The tag got accidentally entered as a TX plate instead of a NY plate.

You're going to have to keep trying to get through to the folks in New York, however, your earlier inaction may mean that it's too late.
I don't know how much money we're talking here, but it might be cheaper just to pay it and move on.

Thanks for the response. It's really not about the money. I just have a hard time dealing with the fact that we were living our lives and then one day we're told we're responsible for someone's error 1700 miles away.

And now it seems the burden is on us to prove it

Thanks for the response. It's really not about the money. I just have a hard time dealing with the fact that we were living our lives and then one day we're told we're responsible for someone's error 1700 miles away.

And now it seems the burden is on us to prove it
Yep - sucks...but such is life.

The OP's car is a Texas car that happens to have the same tag number as a New York car. The tag got accidentally entered as a TX plate instead of a NY plate.

Understood, but if OP was no longer owner of that vehicle at the time of the violation then it could be another way to address the issue.
It was described as wife's previous vehicle.

Understood, but if OP was no longer owner of that vehicle at the time of the violation then it could be another way to address the issue.
It was described as wife's previous vehicle.
No, the way I understand it is that this is not a matter of a previously owned vehicle, rather, the tags just happen to have the same number. The OP (the wife, actually) has no affiliation with the NY vehicle at all.

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I referenced her "previous vehicle" because we've since sold the vehicle to a dealership (used car valuations were through the roof, but I digress).

However, the citation for this NY driver occurred on a date when we still had the vehicle. I still have the plates in my garage, but the vehicle is gone.

The representatives at the NYC Dept. of Finance seemingly have no idea how this could've happened. Further, they all have different "ideas" of what I should.

"Write a letter to this address."
"Maybe take a photo of your car."

Or my favorite...

"I don't know what you're gonna do, but you gotta do something to prove you didn't do this."

Its like they're spitballing ideas as if they were someone I was chatting with at a bar. No protocol. And the one supervisor on staff apparently doesn't exist. 5 call backs over 7hrs yesterday and he's never available.

Anyway, I'm venting at this point so I'll stop

The best route I think you should take is simple. Take a picture of the car with the plates. Write a letter outlining the differences in the car. Color, Make and location. You should make a copy of this letter for your records. Send the letter with a tracking number. Send one to the collection company explaining they are seeking a false claim. Send one to the ticket processing location. Send one to the prosecutor office. It just going to take some leg work to get this issue fixed. Just making phone calls isn't going to clear it up. Letter will make a paper trail that might land on the right desk. Good luck

The best route I think you should take is simple. Take a picture of the car with the plates. Write a letter outlining the differences in the car. Color, Make and location. You should make a copy of this letter for your records. Send the letter with a tracking number. Send one to the collection company explaining they are seeking a false claim. Send one to the ticket processing location. Send one to the prosecutor office. It just going to take some leg work to get this issue fixed. Just making phone calls isn't going to clear it up. Letter will make a paper trail that might land on the right desk. Good luck
I don't disagree with you, but again, the problem the OP has is that he is beyond the time to contest the ticket.

Back