Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse Ticket question

K

Kenny

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
Is it likely I will get jail time for my reckless driving ticket?

Is it likely I will get jail time for my reckless driving ticket?

The answer to that depends on FIVE things: your past driving record, was anyone hurt, was there significant property damage, if you have a lawyer, and luck.

You'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Nothing about our lives comes with a guarantee except none of us will live forever.

Usually, no.
If there were circumstances that would justify jail time I'd expect you would have given those details.
Also, you likely would have been arrested at the time rather than given a citation.

I just looked up "reckless driving" in NC.

I, like most, thought reckless driving was a simple traffic ticket or citation.

In NC if you drive 75 mph in a 65 mph zone, you could get cited with reckless driving.

In North Carolina, reckless driving is actually a criminal charge.

If you are caught driving at least 15 miles per hour over the speed limit where the speed limit is less than 55 miles per hour you can be charged with reckless driving in NC.

As the speed limit increases, the reckless driving threshold decreases.

If the speed limit is under 70 miles per hour and you are caught doing over 75 miles per hours, you could be charged with reckless driving, too, in NC.

You asked: "Can I go to Jail for Reckless Driving?"

The short answer is yes. Reckless driving is a Class 2 misdemeanor, under North Carolina laws, reckless driving is punishable by up to 60 days in jail.

Jail time isn't the only punishment you may face with your reckless driving charge. A conviction can bring 4 points on your driver's license as well as driver's license suspension up to 12 months. You may also face fines of up to $1,000.

As if those potential penalties aren't enough, your car insurance rates may go through the roof with a reckless driving conviction. The insurance company will view you as a bad risk and charge you accordingly.
In some cases, your insurer may cancel your policy.

If I were you, I'd try to get a lawyer.

Reckless is often a nothing burger, but in NC, they've made it a "double whopper".

It is similar here in California. There is a degree of negligence that makes it a misdemeanor.
Had there been any significant damage or injuries it is certain an arrest would have been made rather than a citation issued.
I suspect the matter here is probably only speed related- most likely resulting in a doozy of a fine and a couple points on the license.

It is similar here in California. There is a degree of negligence that makes it a misdemeanor.
Had there been any significant damage or injuries it is certain an arrest would have been made rather than a citation issued.
I suspect the matter here is probably only speed related- most likely resulting in a doozy of a fine and a couple points on the license.

NC levies four point on the person's license.
In TX, the charge is similar, but allows offers to issue or cite on private property!
It is one of several exceptions to the inviolate sanctity of private property in TX.
I must add the private property MUST be open to public use, as in parking lots, garages, etc...

In TX, it rarely involves jail time, if it does its just one or two days (often a weekend stay, to avoid interfering with a person's job).

Back