Ticket in Mail - Car sold to Carmax months ago

SanDieganTP

Here's my problem:

I received a ticket for $490 in the mail for running a red light in Ventura, CA (photo evidence). The thing is, I sold that car over 10 months ago to Carmax in San Diego. It is clearly my old car with the same license plate, of course I don't know the driver.

I now mailed in the transfer and release of liability form and the vehicle purchase contract with Carmax, to both, the Superior court of CA in Ventura, and the traffic enforcement office of the Ventura PD, together with a letter explaining the situation.

Do you think I did everything right, or is there anything else I could do?

I'm supposed to either pay the fine or appear in court in 2 weeks - of course I don't want to drive all the way to Ventura to explain this in court.

Thanks for any help!

You had two choices, pay the fine or go to court. You chose a third option that you didn't have. You risk having your mailed in response disappear since you weren't given the option of mailing anything in except the fine.

I suggest you'd better not rely on the mail, or at least follow up, follow up, follow up, every day until you confirm that the material was received and the ticket dismissed.

If you can't positively confirm dismissal by getting a written document from the court or finding the disposition online then you'd better darn well drive to the court or your license will be suspended for failure to appear and a warrant for your arrest will be issued.

I actually came across a similar situation in CA as well. The difference is mine was a police impound letter saying I needed to pay an outrageous amount but I had sold the car privately some months before.

What I did was just called and they noticed their clerical error and that's all she wrote. Granted getting that done over the phone doesn't really CYA but I suppose I was lucky and never heard back. You may try calling and see if they notice a clerical error as well.

Another thing to note as well, I don't know if your familiar with Riverside at all but they stopped using photos for things like red light violations and that's due to the fact they are not too reliable since they can't go after registered owner but only the driver. I don't know if a parking violation is the same as that but too many people were getting these tickets in the mail when they were not driving and "couldn't remember" who was at the time of the ticket. But I wouldn't rely on that since you do have a deadline.

I would call, see if they can clear it like in my case but if not go down there and appear in court with your paperwork. I know it's a ~4 hour drive depending on route/day/traffic but it could save you money in the long run.

Back