threats of forgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

momx2

My ex husband is threatening to charge me with forgery over a loan when we were separated. The loan was paid off within a couple of months and this all happened 7 years ago. Any advice?

I doubt the police would do anything as it was seven years ago. Did he suffer any damages such as credit ruined due to late payments, etc... When did he find out and how did he find out. Were you still married at the time? However, check your state laws for statute of limitations on forgery. In Texas, if a felony forgery then SOL is 10 years. In Vermont, it is six years. In Colorado, no limit.

Thank you for answering me. He suffered no damages. We were still married at the time. I have checked the statue of limitations and VA has no limit. I not sure what to do.

Well, what proof does he have? When and how did he first find out? Why is he threatening you now?

Well, what proof does he have? When and how did he first find out? Why is he threatening you now?

The loan was a second mortage on our home. The home was to be deeded to me at the time of the divorce. I took out a second mortage to pay for expenses left behind. At the time of the divorce and the house was sold he got his portion of the house and I got mine and the second mortage was paid. He signed the HUD and I never heard anything since. Now for some reason 7 years later he wants his portion that was taken for the second mortage, so I paid him $4k just recently to keep peace. But he still threatens forgery - I don't want to live in fear of what he might do or have him constantly threatening me.

If the house was deeded to you why did he get a portion when you sold it? You signed his name to the second mortage or for the sale? If you didn't sign his name any where then it is not forgery. What do you mean he wants his portion when you stated he already got it at the time of the sale? What is the HUD he signed?

The house was to go to me in the divorce papers. He and I decided to sell the home and split the profit. I did take out the second mortage and I only did what the lady at the bank said to do. The deed (second mortage) was notarized with both signatures at the bank. The HUD that he signed was at the time of the sale of the home. He should of noticed the second mortage then but he never said anything and of course 7 years later he complains. By the way, thank you soo much for you help and advise. He has really manipulated me lately even with the kids because he now thinks that he is holding something over my head. I just don't want to live like this. I am a professional and have a good job and don't want to do anything to jepordize my career.

If it was notorized with both signatures then are you telling me he signed the second mortage? If he did not, how did you get the signature and how was the bank involved in that? If the deed was notorized maybe that has nothing to do with your signature on the loan or was his signature placed on the loan as well? What is a HUD; I don't know what that means. You paid off the second mortage with no money coming from him or deducted from the sale of the home right? So, why is he asking for more money? What reason is he giving for asking for more money? Why is he complaining if he got all the money owed him?

If it was notorized with both signatures then are you telling me he signed the second mortage? If he did not, how did you get the signature and how was the bank involved in that? If the deed was notorized maybe that has nothing to do with your signature on the loan or was his signature placed on the loan as well? What is a HUD; I don't know what that means. You paid off the second mortage with no money coming from him or deducted from the sale of the home right? So, why is he asking for more money? What reason is he giving for asking for more money? Why is he complaining if he got all the money owed him?

The lady at the bank said something like do you normally sign for your husband if so just sign and then she notarized it. Seemed pretty simple and harmless. I didn't do anything to harm him and it was a loan that I intended to pay for not him. A HUD is a statement at the sell of a house that states everything that is being paid for at the time of the sell. I don't know why he is still complaining. I think that he just likes to have something to hold over my head - can he continue to do this or is there something that I can do. I have not asked him to pay any medical expenses for the kids over the last 7 years, cause its always an arguement. I have about $7k worth of expenses that's just his half.

If the bank authorized you to sign, then notorized it, then it is not forgery. Tell him to go ahead and file charges. If you show no fear, then he'll no doubt drop it. I doubt a D.A. would touch it, especially since all monies were paid, he suffered no harm, and now he is blackmailing you. If you are still afraid, then contact a lawyer on your own for a consultation so that you can live with peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back