Threatening letter for traffic violation..14 yrs. later!

Status
Not open for further replies.

seriously

My husband rec'vd a letter saying his account was 120 days past due and scheduled to be referred to the Franchise Tax Board for debt collection, seems normal right?.. 120 Days.. try 14 Years! He called the courthouse and she said it was a violation that happened in 1995. She also mentioned that it's being brought to our attention now because someone in the office didn't file the paperwork right. Are ya kidding me! It's for 456.00!
So, to further explain our frustration.. in 1998 he had to pay over $1300 worth of fines, tickets etc. from Ca to get a DL in Idaho. Then we moved to Colorado.. had to pay more from Ca that didn't get caught in Idaho. Are you following me..? Now in the meantime he's been in trouble with the law in Idaho.. had to do a work release program for 6 mos. blah, blah, blah. It's been almost 10 years since the work release thing.
Ok, so now we live back in the bankrupt state of Cali. We've paid Ca state taxes for 5 years now.. and all the sudden they come after him, for a traffic violation from '95. I'm confused.. is this right? Can they do this? Is there any way we can fight this? The courts said they were going to send a copy of the ticket and any other paperwork they had.
We're not trying to get out of paying this totally. We just don't want to roll over and pay "the man" everytime they say we have to w/out knowing all the details.. ins and outs.. options.. etc.. Anybody wanna help us out, maybe answer some questions for us.. please... :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back