Thought I bought a Car???

Heatherskye79

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Thought I bought a car from an INDIVIDUAL...have a bill of sale indicating terms...come to find out....said seller....isn't owner,,,The owner is a dealer whom has admitted on tape to me that he has allowed friend to use his dealers license to buy cars at auction but he's never gave him permission to sale said cars. Well now after failing to produce the title to me in a legal manner...the OWNER of the car....who is NOT ME....wants me to pay all the tax tag and fees associated with the dealers fee....which I haven't even paid this man a dime....I've paid a man who at first didn't even know he owned this car...and now here's the kicker....the car is falling apart...exhaust wouldn't even pass emissions if IT had too...and the bill of sale that I have from the fraudster....and the word given by the actual owner hasn't been kept...it's been 3 weeks and I still don't have anything other than a stolen vehicle in my opinion and probably if I get pulled over ....a cops opinion too!! I know that I've been done wrong...even the dealer has admitted that this " Isn't good" But continuously reminds me that he's "Got nothing to worry about" but that Justin....his buddy that sold me the car that he didn't own "could be in some serious trouble" I WANT MY MONEY AND THEN SOME and I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO Please advise. I live in Columbus GA... I have recording of the DEALER AND ALL OF OUR CONVERATIONS...
How do I go about this should I sue the guy I thought I bought it from he's the one that took my money but if I do so then I would have to give the owner back the car who is his friend I'm so confused and neither one of them have contacted me it's like they're both waiting on me to make a move

should I sue the guy I thought I bought it from he's the one that took my money

Yes, that's who you sue for your money back.

if I do so then I would have to give the owner back the car

Yes, you would. But you have no case against the dealer because his violation of dealer licensing laws is between him and the state. You can, of course, report it to the state.

Here's your life lesson from the school of hard knocks.

Never hand over the money without title in hand with verification that the name on the title is the name of the person to whom you are handing the money.

Back