This is ridiculous....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon

In the begining of Feb my gf and i had found a house that we wished to rent. We submitted all of our papers as such, and gave our landlord's first month and the deposit. The condition of us moving in was that i did a little work to the place to get some money takin off of the first months rent, i am a general contractor where i live. The landlord said they would send someone over to clean the carpets in the unit since they were dirty. So, of course i had to take the keys to the unit to perform the necessary tasks that i said i would do. I cleaned the place up for the carpet people to come and clean, and started poking and probing the house to find other problems with the unit that the landlord needed to be aware of, not only for my sake, but for thier investments sake. After looking around, i find out that the solar panels on top of the house are busted, the tile job in the house is not finished, and that there is a mold of some type in the whole house. The mold was in the whole house, in the carpet padding, on the edges of the carpet, and the tack boards under the carpet were rotted and just fell apart when flicked. I communicated this to the landlord immeadiately, but they said oh well, so i offered to tile the WHOLE house for free if they pay for the supplies, to which they said no and what i thought was a reasonable offer. So, while we let the landlord think about, we do some other little do-dads around the house that needed to be taken care of, per my agreement with the landlord. We took the door knobs off of a patio dir which was locked, in an effort to get the door unlocked, and make it usable, of course the door knob on the other side of the door just fell off and the door would have to be taken off it's hinges to get the doors unlocked, i didn't have my equipment to do this. The landlord's called us that same night and said they wouldn't replace anything after talking it over, so we decided not live in a place that has mold in it, as i have a 3 month old daughter and do not want her to get sick!

Now they are trying to sue us for damages to thier residence. No papers were ever signed, no receipts of any type, the only thing that has a name on it is when the landlord refunded our whole deposit and first month's rent. What actions can i take against these slumlords. My gf and i think they knew about the mold before we moved in. The slumlords are harrassing me on our cell phones at our current residence and at our work. I thought i was being nice by offering my services cheap and in the case of the tiling, for free! What can i do, what can they do? I live in Sacramento, CA!!!!

Thanks very much!

Brian

We never moved any of our articles into the house, only a few of my tools that i would have needed to do the work before we moved.....

trials and tribulations

I just came from your truck accident post of Feb 6. This is Feb 13 post? I hope March was better.

I also had a question here that went unanswered. I see you have 2 of them. I don't want to create ill will by mentioning another site (kind of like offering to share your pepsi at the coke company picnic, because there's nothing left to drink). I went to YourLawyers.com, and someone took the trouble to answer my question. You might try posting there.

Just from a google search I found "New Health and Safety Code 26147 requires the landlord to tell current and prospective tenants about the mold, as well as do something about it as a habitability issue". http://www.caltenantlaw.com/Res-Law.htm. There were others on the google page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back