Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft *theft question*

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuao

Hello. Thanks for taking the time to look at my question. Yesterday I made a big mistake and tried stealing from a store at our local mall. I got out the front door, and as I looked back an employee of the store was running after me. I dropped the item and proceeded to run towards my car. I got to my car and didnt have enough time to get in, before the employee tackles me to ground ground, choke holds me til i almost passed out, and all and all roughs me up pretty bad. By the time I actually got into my car seat I see the real mall security offices walking towards the car, and he stops and just stands there. So I proceeded to drive away with only my car key cause all my other keys were lost in the parking lot because of the scuffel. What should I do? I'm still waiting to find out to see if the store will be pressing charges? and if they do should I go to the cops for assult since the employee didnt have the right to do that? Im just a little lost, and hoping this just all goes away.

thank, j

if u need anymore info please let me know

What makes you think the employee did not have a right to use physical force to detain you? He SHOULD have held you for security and then the police, but he did not. Depending on the laws in your state he might have committed the crime of battery if he assaulted you without the intent of holding you for the police. But, if he grew weary and gave up, then he is probably not guilty of a crime.

Here's what you can do ... go to the police, confess to the theft, and then ask that the employee be charged with battery for trying to stop you - a thief. Can you predict how that will turn up?

Stay away from the mall, stay away from thefts, and hope that they do not come looking for you. Learn from it and move on to a life without crime.

- Carl

Was it legal? Probably. Now depending on the polices of the security team or Mall itslef can say whether they had right to do so. Running pretty much made you target practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back