Theft of donated funds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bshelton

A gofundme page was set up on behalf of a family in needs of financial assistance with medical and personal expenses after their child was unexpectedly born with a host of medical problems. The person that set up the page listed the family and the medical and personal expenses in the description to get donations. The person that set it up then proceeded to give the family the run around in regards to receiving the issued check after she closed the account to donations. The total raised was $1,385 before website and check fees were taken out. Law enforcement was contacted after an extended period of time had passed and the family had still not received the money. I personally donated money to this fundraiser and was contacted by the family and was told to get in touch with a detective that was working on this case. I want to know if we can file theft charges on the person who pocketed the money. My money was not given to HER, it was held out to be for the family, not for her to use. I am livid and appalled with this situation. I would also like to know if all of the people that donated money were to pull together and file a sort of class action theft suit against her, would we have any legal standing? Could she be held responsible and punished?

A gofundme page was set up on behalf of a family in needs of financial assistance with medical and personal expenses after their child was unexpectedly born with a host of medical problems. The person that set up the page listed the family and the medical and personal expenses in the description to get donations. The person that set it up then proceeded to give the family the run around in regards to receiving the issued check after she closed the account to donations. The total raised was $1,385 before website and check fees were taken out. Law enforcement was contacted after an extended period of time had passed and the family had still not received the money. I personally donated money to this fundraiser and was contacted by the family and was told to get in touch with a detective that was working on this case. I want to know if we can file theft charges on the person who pocketed the money. My money was not given to HER, it was held out to be for the family, not for her to use. I am livid and appalled with this situation. I would also like to know if all of the people that donated money were to pull together and file a sort of class action theft suit against her, would we have any legal standing? Could she be held responsible and punished?

We are seeing cases of this type skyrocket in Texas.
I suspect this is also the pattern all over the USA, if not the planet.
A person creates an account for their benefit, or the benefit of another.
Frequently the entire effort is a scam, a con, a ruse, and honest people get bilked.

If you want to give someone something, be smart, give it to them the old fashioned way, HAND it to them, mail it to them, or have a trusted associate give it to them on your behalf.
These online funding operations are ripe for the picking!
They are fleecing the sheep, daily!!!!

All you can do is what you were told, contact the detective or law enforcement agency.
Report what you know the the detective.
Then wait for justice to follow.
I'm a retired associate district court judge in central Texas.
I meet with my colleagues monthly.
This has been discussed during our meetings since August.
In a neighboring county, the police and sheriff's department have arrested the same woman four times over the last 21 days for this scam.

Forget teh class action lawsuit, my friend.
The only one making money on a class action lawsuit is the law firm prosecuting the lawsuit.
Do work with the law enforcement agency and the DA.
That's your bets shot, and ever give money to a third party, it can get lost.
Give the money to the person you want to receive it.

The only exception would be to send money to a bank that has an established trust fund.
Even that can be suspect, so I prefer the give it directly to the victim you want to assist.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back