Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication The police mistakenly came to the wrong address knocked on my door asked for my ID an

Status
Not open for further replies.

massey1111

Hello
The police came to my back door and knocked on it. I opened the door and the police said they were responding to an alarm. I said there was no alarm. So they asked me to identify myself. I said I keep my wallet in my room upstairs. They asked to come inside. I let them in and they stood inside the living room. I said I would go get my wallet and as I turned to go the police followed my through the house, up the stairs to my room where my wallet was on my armoir. Un fortunately so was a very small amount of weed. The police picked it up and immediately started threatening to have a warrent to search the house for drugs
I lost all ability to think and my brain was unable to think past saying "I want a lawyer". The police said that if I turned in the person who sold the weed to me that the charges would go away. I really was unable to think at all. They walked my outside to there police cruiser and ran a check on my id. I have no prior problems of any kind. So they threaten quite a bit to arrest me and take me into the station and come back to search the house.
The police issue me a uniform summons to show up in court May 5. in Virginia General court house.
For possession of marijuana.
They drive away. Me holding a False alarm paper with The wrong address.
The police came to my house instead of the house that had the alarm.
The police mistakenly came to the wrong address knocked on my door asked for my ID and followed me to my room and found weed sitting on my armoire.
So thats what happened..... What can I do about it? I want the charges dropped of course.
Will a lawyer make any difference in my trial?

The police did not search my house

I have not gotten any mail yet so I went to the nieghbors house and asked them to forward the mail to the house two doors down where I live.

A lawyer may make a difference and if it were me I wouldn't want to mess around with a drug possession charge. In this instance it is arguable that while you did permit the police to come inside, you did not "consent" to their coming up to your bedroom. I don't know if you did.

You attorney may argue thatt he police were too authoritative and acted in a manner that was "out of bounds" legally in attempting to determine the "cause" for the alarm. Having the paper as a record that the police came to the wrong address with a certain disposition will help bolster the credability of the above statement without any testimony from you.

You may want to consult with someone who you feel is good and somewhat experienced and it is possible you might be able to avoid the problem. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Originally posted by massey1111
Hello
The police came to my back door and knocked on it. I opened the door and the police said they were responding to an alarm. I said there was no alarm. So they asked me to identify myself. I said I keep my wallet in my room upstairs. They asked to come inside. I let them in and they stood inside the living room. I said I would go get my wallet and as I turned to go the police followed my through the house, up the stairs to my room where my wallet was on my armoir. Un fortunately so was a very small amount of weed. The police picked it up and immediately started threatening to have a warrent to search the house for drugs
I lost all ability to think and my brain was unable to think past saying "I want a lawyer". The police said that if I turned in the person who sold the weed to me that the charges would go away. I really was unable to think at all. They walked my outside to there police cruiser and ran a check on my id. I have no prior problems of any kind. So they threaten quite a bit to arrest me and take me into the station and come back to search the house.
The police issue me a uniform summons to show up in court May 5. in Virginia General court house.
For possession of marijuana.
They drive away. Me holding a False alarm paper with The wrong address.
The police came to my house instead of the house that had the alarm.
The police mistakenly came to the wrong address knocked on my door asked for my ID and followed me to my room and found weed sitting on my armoire.
So thats what happened..... What can I do about it? I want the charges dropped of course.
Will a lawyer make any difference in my trial?

The police did not search my house

I have not gotten any mail yet so I went to the nieghbors house and asked them to forward the mail to the house two doors down where I live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back