Assault & Battery the fine line between assault and self-defense in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello,
This morning, I was accosted by someone on Staten Island Ferry (NYC). I guess, he didn't like the way I looked at him while he was ogling a girl while blocking an exit. Words were exchanged (I usually don't hold back and I didn't this time). He said he would beat the sh!t out of me when we stepped outside. The guy took a different exit from the ferry terminal, but I saw him walk around towards the exit I used and look for me. Chances are, I'll run into him on the ferry or in the terminal again soon enough. If he confronts me, I'll try to avoid the fistfight, but I'm going to run away. I'll hold my ground and give him enough warnings.
The questions are as follow:
-Does he need to throw the first punch in order for me to claim self-defense later? I.e. if he keeps threatening me and menacing, will preemptive strike be still considered self-defense if I warn him a few times to leave me alone?
-If I use a pen or car keys as an improvised weapon if he attacks me, will I be charged with an assault with a deadly weapon, provided he attacks me first?
-If I happen to knock him out or injure him enough to require medical attention, will I be charged with anything, once again, if he attacks me first?
-Where is that thin line between self-defense and assault and battery? How do I stand my ground and avoid being arrested for an assault at the same time?

Thanks

Hello,
This morning, I was accosted by someone on Staten Island Ferry (NYC). I guess, he didn't like the way I looked at him while he was ogling a girl while blocking an exit. Words were exchanged (I usually don't hold back and I didn't this time). He said he would beat the sh!t out of me when we stepped outside. The guy took a different exit from the ferry terminal, but I saw him walk around towards the exit I used and look for me. Chances are, I'll run into him on the ferry or in the terminal again soon enough. If he confronts me, I'll try to avoid the fistfight, but I'm going to run away. I'll hold my ground and give him enough warnings.
The questions are as follow:
-Does he need to throw the first punch in order for me to claim self-defense later? I.e. if he keeps threatening me and menacing, will preemptive strike be still considered self-defense if I warn him a few times to leave me alone?
-If I use a pen or car keys as an improvised weapon if he attacks me, will I be charged with an assault with a deadly weapon, provided he attacks me first?
-If I happen to knock him out or injure him enough to require medical attention, will I be charged with anything, once again, if he attacks me first?
-Where is that thin line between self-defense and assault and battery? How do I stand my ground and avoid being arrested for an assault at the same time?

Thanks

Don't rely on self defense as a way defend yourself if you are charged for being in an affray or disturbing the peace.
If he accosts you, you are better served by calling "911".
No online forum, or even a letter from an attorney can insulate you from being arrested and brought before the bar to answer for your alleged crimes.

God forbid you and he get into fisticuffs, you hit him (or simply use your forearm to block a blow), he falls and hits his head on one of those metal benches on that ferry, and dies.
You are probably looking at manslaughter, or reckless homicide.

You see, you can't use today's event tomorrow to say you were defending yourself.
Some prosecutor might see that action as stalking him, much like a tiger stalks a jungle animal.

If you're smart, want to stay among the free, avoid that idiot.
If you ever see a crime being committed, call "911", let the professionals protect and serve.
I hope things quiet down for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back