The attorney never showed up but still wants payment

Status
Not open for further replies.

charmedprinces

On May 26, 2009 I hired attorney to handle my sons case. He was arrested May 25th 2009. The attorney took a downpayment of $2000 and gave a contract for the remainder of the $7,500 plus 10 % interest to be made $1,552 per month from June till September. I was scared, my family didn't know what else to do so I signed the contract and faxed it back along with my credit card number for $2,000. The attorney said he would visit my son in jail on May 26 and then appear at something called an arraignment on May 27th. The attorney never visited my son on May 26th and did not appear in court on my sons behalf until after the case was over. My son, not knowing I had hired the attorney plead on his own behalf. He plead guilty to petty theft and was given probation and time served. The attorney showed up after the case was over and pulled my son into a room and apologized for being late. He said he would re enter a different plea but my son said what for The attorney called me and led me to believe he represented my son and still says he did. I have the court docket proving he had no attorney present. The attorney refuses to refund the $2,000 and said docket or no docket, he would fight this to the death. That frightened me a bit. I want to know if I have any rights. Can I dispute the credit card charges? Do I need another attorney to deal with this, if so, What type of attorney so I need?

Last edited:
Sure you can dispute the credit card charges. Talk to your court clerk. What you probably need to do is have the lawyer's bill "taxed" (or whatever the equivalent procedure is in your jurisdiction - where they evaluate what the lawyer did and what it is worth). If he did absolutely bubkus, that's what he should get. Once you've got that decision, tell the credit card company and have the charges reversed. I would tell the lawyer this is EXACTLY what you plan to do, and if tries to intimidate you, consider reporting his behaviour to the local law society as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back