Tenants rights.. new Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

june05

Hi,I'm really hoping someone can help here. I'm located in New Jersey, and I am wondering about tenants rights. I have complained numerous times (starting in April)to the manager where I live about my neighbor upstairs how they are infested with beg bugs, took them a few months to finally act upon it and they finally (1rst week of June they started) started doing treatments after complaining for two straight months. The exterminator agrees that she is beyond infested for everything of theirs couches,beds, clothes etc.. all to be thrown out being everything is infested. In the meantime in my apartment bedbugs have now entered my apartment being we share the same hallway ugh, anyway, my question is.. when it comes to tenants rights in the state of NJ, is it possible to break the lease and get no penalty charges, and to fight to get our security deposit back??? My lease is not up until December and I can't live like this until then!! As it is the neighbor FINALLY threw away her couch and love seat last nite without any plastic on them just threw em down the stairs. I took photos of them since they were out by the garbage as evidence. HELP please?

Quite honestly, your complaining about the neighbors bugs that finally got something done about it likely drove those things into your rental unit. Insects are smart; in a duplex/apartment complex situation they typically travel from unit to unit unless ALL units are treated at the same time.

You do have the right to get your bugs addressed by the exterminator too. Do you have the right to break your lease without the risk of a financial penalty? Unlikely as one must give a landlord/management time to address a repair (in this case bedbugs) issue.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back