tenants fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

braski

i'm a landlord in massachusetts. tenant A is driving tenant B crazy by putting her speakers against their common wall and blasting the music at 6am. all the polite talk has been exhausted. i would like to evict tenant A, but it's so hard in mass. seems like non-payment of rent is the only way to get anybody out. i like tenant B and would like her to stay, she's been here much longer than A. B has called the police, has multiple police reports. can we somehow team together to evict tennant A?

You need to advise both to call the police. You should not get involved with this type of "childish" behavior between tenants.

Well, this is not really a matter the government (police) has to resolve, this is a civil matter. You as the landlord have a contractual duty towards the tenants. They have a duty towards their neighbors.

Tenant A here has violated tenant B's right to enjoy her lease, that is what the law calls a "private nuisance." So tenant B can take action against tenant A.

You as the landlord should establish clear, reasonable but firm rules of conduct on the premises. If tenant A violates those rules for example about noise, there might be a breach of contract that is actionable, too.

What you really don't want it to have it deteriorate to a point where the good tenants leave and only the bad ones stay.

You might want to consult an attorney who is an expert in landlord issues on that while things are not yet that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back