Tenant v's Tenant dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emma_Zak

Hi there.

My roommate and I have signed a lease for an apartment in New York City and have been living together for nearly seven months. Two months ago she told me that I had to move out and that she was moving two people in that were going to assume my position in the apartment. I told her that I wasn't leaving and that I had every legal right to occupy the space as I was on the lease. Since then she has been verbally abusing me, screaming and yelling at me to 'get out of her apartment' every chance she gets. The landlord is aware of the situation and doesn't care who assumes the lease as long as the situation is resolved (and quickly). I am thinking of just leaving the apartment to by-pass the drama but want to find out what my legal rights are if I were to stay. I was wondering if you had any legal advice that you could offer me.

Thanks for your time,

Emma Z

You're on the lease; you certainly have every right to live there. Your roommate is not the landlord; the landlord is the person you're paying rent to. That's the only person who can begin the eviction process on you.

Gail

If you can stand the verbal torment, then you have every right to be there. I would personally, start looking for a new place as I wouldn't be able to handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back