Tenant vacated property 4 months before lease is up

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayangel214

Just got an email from tenant out of the blue:

"Just wanted to let you know we have vacated the property. We will continue to check on the house weekly until our lease is up.

If there's anything further you would like us to do, please let us know. In addition, we'll be having the power service turned off this Friday"

We need the power on since there is a pool service (I pay for) and the pool pump uses electricity. Do I inform the tenant that I will be turning power back on in my name for the pool... What if they continue to use the home... ?

They didn't say anything about wanting us to try to find a tenant before their lease is up, should I ask if they are open to that.

It seems like they will continue to pay rent until their lease is up.

Thank you for any advice.

Just got an email from tenant out of the blue:

"Just wanted to let you know we have vacated the property. We will continue to check on the house weekly until our lease is up.

If there's anything further you would like us to do, please let us know. In addition, we'll be having the power service turned off this Friday"

We need the power on since there is a pool service (I pay for) and the pool pump uses electricity. Do I inform the tenant that I will be turning power back on in my name for the pool... What if they continue to use the home... ?

They didn't say anything about wanting us to try to find a tenant before their lease is up, should I ask if they are open to that.

It seems like they will continue to pay rent until their lease is up.

Thank you for any advice.

Yes, I think you need to clarify what the tenant's eventual intentions are.

If the tenant continues to occupy the premise by paying rent, their lease is still valid.

It seems that is what they are willing to do.

You might counteroffer and suggest that they pay half a month's rent and return the keys and you will allow them out of the lease.
(Provide your own terms, not mine.) (This may require negotiation skills to reach a suitable agreement.)

If you accomplish this over the next 2-3 days, I think it will work out fine for all concerned.

I would be very surprised if they paid their rent for four months after vacating. The sooner you clear this up with them the better. Don't wait to see if the rent shows up.
What does your lease say about abandoning the residence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back