Tenant shutting off electricity on 21st but not moving till 25th. What if pipes freez

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurie1

My tenant informs me she is turning electricity off on 12/21 but she does not intend to be out till 12/25. It is very cold here in Maine and pipes will freeze w/out heat. I would have the electricity continued in my name but I am worried that she will turn furnace up and leave windows open. She does not want me in the premises till 12/25. What can I do?

Will it be sufficient to let the faucets drip to prevent freeze? Ask her to at least do that... OR just turn on the electricity in your name. It would only be a few days...

hi mightymoose, thanks for reply. My tenant will not leave water at a trickle nor allow me in before the 25th. I don't understand why she is shutting off elec on the 21st if she won't be out till 25th. I do get the feeling it is retaliation due to eviction proceedings. Do you have any advice on legal ramifications if the pipes freeze, burst and flood the home?

hi mightymoose, thanks for reply. My tenant will not leave water at a trickle nor allow me in before the 25th. I don't understand why she is shutting off elec on the 21st if she won't be out till 25th. I do get the feeling it is retaliation due to eviction proceedings. Do you have any advice on legal ramifications if the pipes freeze, burst and flood the home?

Sure, you can sue her for damages.
That said, she's no doubt a DEADBEAT.
Don't expect to get any money out of this crook anytime soon.

Do you have insurance?

Why won't she let you in before the 25th, Christmas; friend, Christmas!!!!!

She's being vindictive.

You should document all of this and make sure you document your offer to assume the electricity in your name.

Paying a little to the electric company is better than paying a repairman!

Last edited:
Thanks Army Judge. I guess I needed that swift kick in the pants. I will have to take my chances and hope that she will not crank up the furnace and electric heat and leave all doors and windows open. This would be the lesser of two evils. I am frustrated because I have been very (too) accommodating with her. No 1st, no last, no pet deposit. Shame on me. Live and learn.

Thanks Bud!

Personally, I would contact the electric company and have the service kept on without interruption... she may just think they didn't get to it. So long as you aren't putting the idea in her head to leave windows open I wouldn't think she would do it.

Right, just contact the power company and switch to your name. They should be able to get the amount she has used up till the 21st then your account starts then. Hopefully they will not shut power off. A few days of paying electic bill is better than the thousands it could cost if pipes burst. Good luck.

BUT if she is trying to cost you money then she may just not turn the heat on and still try and freexe the pipes. Do as the others have said and document the offer to her and any threats she may make. What day(if any) did the court tell her to be out by?

mightymoose and bluemann,

Thanks again for your help.
Bluemann, I am in process of evicting her. Served her with 7 day Notice to Quit last nite. This is when she verbally informs me that she will have elec turned off Dec 21st but her last day of tenancy will be Dec 25th.

If she does indeed vacate without paying the several months overdue rent, where does eviction proceeding go from here? I am sure she will not provide a forwarding address. Do I have to start over in Small Claims court? Having her served at the present location does not make sense if she has already left by the time she is served.

She did say last nite that she has started a Small Claims action against me. For what I don't know. Any advice?

Laurie

You are unlikely to get anything from a tenant that is so far behind. If she leaves just be glad she is gone.
Get a new tenant that you trust in as soon as possible.

I wouldn't put much effort into going to court for past due rent- she owes it and you can get a judgment, but you can't get what she doesn't have.

My father ownes rental property. He gets the screw all the time, takes em to court,wins, hardly ever sees any money. You could take her to court and hope you get some money from her but I agree to be happy she is gone and hope she does not mess anything up and find a better renter. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back