Tenant Rights - General Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmellon

Hello,

I was wondering if you could give me some advice.

I have a women that comes to our house every two weeks from Healthy Families (a state sponsored agency), to work with my 2 kids. Anyways, today, she mentioned trying to get management to replace my carpeting and getting the apartment repainted.

We've lived here going on 3 years now, and the place is a mess. Before we moved in, they put new carpet in and painted the place. The carpeting they put in, its very cheap industrial type carpet - low pile, and crap. When they put in it, I wont think they stretched and tacked it right, because now, we have ripples in all over the floor (I know carpeting thats well over 15 years old, that doesn't even do this).

Anyways... My 4 year old hasn't been a help with it either - like most kids, likes to make messes. The same goes with the paint (crayons, etc).

The kids trip over the ripples, and paints pealing, cracking, etc (there's probably 20 coats of paint on the walls).

I asked about getting the carpet replaced before, and they said the wont do it (they only do it before someone moves in), and it would cost us $2400 (for cheap carpet - rip off), to have it replaced.

Is there any legality in requesting replacement of the carpeting, and getting them to point the place?

Is that within the tenant's rights to have that done?

Or does it have to be really bad in order for any legality in it?

If you could assist, that would be great! If you need any more information, please let me know.

Thank you

Tonya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back