Tenant of sufferance ?

michael pearl

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
I am currently living with my x girlfriend that I have a child with that I have full custody of. My x has lived with me on and off and never paid rent had a lease or has any of the household bills in her name. She has lived here for the past 9 years. I have asked her to move out of my home and she won't. I went to the civil court in my town and basically they had nothing to offer me as help as she does not pay rent and is more of a guest. Any help on how to start the process would be great. Thanks in advance Michael

Help her find somewhere else to live, help her pack and help her move. You have a child together so the less drama the better. Make it all nice like you are just helping her move on with her life in a better environment.

I wish it could be that easy. She has put herself in a situation financially that makes that impossible. She is in a abusive relationship has a drug problem and is very vindictive and I have concerns about my own safety..

You need to evict her the same as you would anyone else.
Learn what the process involves and follow it exactly.
Other than that you have to do your best to persuade her to leave. Helping her find a place and sweetening the deal with some cash seems to work well.
Once out she must stay out.

Back