Tenant not paying for rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

ribeyejonson

All,

I have a tenant not paying rent, the same day I served her Notices to Quit. She had an inspector come to the house, most likely trying to delaying in paying. She been in my duplex for 4 years she is constantly not paying her rent on time. What type of problem/delay can I expect if the inspector finds problem.

I'm assuming that you believe the tenant called in the inspector as a reason for not paying rent, correct?

Your state does allow the tenant some avenues should they have NOTIFIED the landlord of repairs needed and the landlord did not address these. However, this does not relieve the tenant of their obligation to pay rent. In the event they wish to sue the landlord for non-repairs, they would pay rent to the courts instead of the landlord and the court would hold this money until after the hearing.

Here is a rundown of how this works...

http://www.larcc.org/pamphlets/housing/tr_repairs.htm

Gail

I believe they are trying to delay the eviction process. They never ever submit anything regarding to repairs need at the property. Thank you for the link, very helpful.

An all too typical response with some tenants. They don't pay rent yet when the landlord attempts legal action, they are suddenly living in a rat infested, dangerous, near-death rental unit. One wonders if the place is so bad why they'd hang on to living there.

At any rate, continue with your goal of possible eviction if rent payment is not received.

Gail

I would go to the courts and start the eviction process. It sounds to me like they are trying to buy time to make things wrong with the place for the inspector to find. They are probably trying to find you at fault for things your not at fault for. If they have been paying late for 4 years, the time to end it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back