tenant drug use, my rights

boomo99

Jurisdiction
Kansas
Simply, my neighbors smoke pot non stop, smell is terrible and wafts all day into my apt.
can i legally stop paying rent if property management doesnt fix issue? can they get in trouble for renting to druggies when all smoking is prohibited in the complex? any help appreciated

Simply, my neighbors smoke pot non stop, smell is terrible and wafts all day into my apt.

Simply, marijuana use is still illegal in Kansas. Call the police and report it.

Kansas Lawmakers Plan To Work On Medical Marijuana Over Summer As 2022 Session Ends - Marijuana Moment

can i legally stop paying rent if property management doesnt fix issue?

The only thing not paying rent gets you is evicted.

Study up on your state's L-T statute and see if there is something in there that would help you.

2021 Kansas Statutes :: Chapter 58 - Personal And Real Property :: Article 25 - Landlords And Tenants

can they get in trouble for renting to druggies when all smoking is prohibited in the complex?

It's not illegal for management to ignore the problem. It's a contractual issue between the management company and the owner of the apartments. Write a complaint to the owner and see how that goes. If other tenants are equally disturbed, then have everybody sign the complaint.

If you are on a month to month rental, give notice and leave. If you are on a lease, you'll have to wait until the lease is up.

Back