1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Tenant-Covid-Right to Enter

Discussion in 'Other Residential Landlord & Tenant Issues' started by JoshuaLuke, Jan 19, 2021.

1. JoshuaLuke

JoshuaLuke Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    New Mexico
    What would be the proper protocol if a tenant stated that they are being tested for Covid-19 but we need to enter the home to check some heaters?

2. JoshuaLuke

I should mention that it is not an emergency. And I am not sure how cooperative the tenant may be in disclosing any personal information as to the results of the test.

3. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

I assume "they" refers to your tenant or tenants (can't tell given your reference to "a tenant" (singular) but your use of a plural pronoun) and that "we" refers to the landlord(s).

That said, I'm not sure what you mean by "proper protocol," but lots of people get "tested for Covid-19." Under the current circumstances, entering another's home would typically dictate things like masks and gloves, and you'd want the resident also to be masked, but there's unlikely to be any law on this (and, if there is, it would likely be local, so you'd know better than anyone here).

JoshuaLuke likes this.
  4. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

5. JoshuaLuke

6. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

You revealed in the other thread that the tenant is already hostile so I doubt that the tenant is going to be cooperative about anything.

Terminate now, evict if necessary, deal with your facilities after they're gone.

Unlike wine, your situation does not get better with age.

JoshuaLuke, hrforme and justblue like this.