1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Tenant Changed Lock

Discussion in 'Eviction, Recovery of Premises' started by hvbnh2008, Mar 29, 2016.

1. hvbnh2008

hvbnh2008 Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Oregon
    I issued a 24-hour notice to inspect my rental property. Although the law requires only 24 hours to notify the tenant, I sent the notice 10 days before the inspection. However, prior to the notice, I was told by the tenant that the front door lock had been changed and that he would give me a key. So far I have not received anything. I called him several times but he didn't return my calls. I sent him a 30-day notice demanding a key. The deadline has passed and I know I can evict him based on this reason.

In the mean time, I want to inspect the property because I've heard he was doing a lot of repairs inside without my permission. I am afraid he's not going to be there to open the door for the inspection. If he doesn't answer the door, can I change the lock in order to get in to inspect? Thanks.

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Well, you can do it if you are willing to stay there until he gets home and you can give him a new key. Otherwise it's an illegal lock-out that could end up being quite costly to you.

hvbnh2008 likes this.