Tenant bounced her pet deposit check

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosecali

Here is some background info on my situation. I have a tenant who adopted a cat without our knowledge. When I found out I decided it would be fine as long as she signed a pet addendum and paid the $300 pet deposit. She asked if she could pay $150 this month and $150 next month and I said yes. Then her $150 pet deposit check bounced. When she finally calls me back, I intend to tell her that she needs to pay the $150 in the form of a money order plus a $25 bounced check fee, or she can pay us $300 next month but I will insist on the $25 bounced check fee now.

My question is what penalties can I legally enforce upon her if she refuses to pay any pet deposit or keeps dragging this on.

If she refuses to sign the pet addendum (and/or pay the deposit) then she can consider either getting rid of the cat or face an eviction.

If you don't wish to evict her and she still insists on keeping the cat (without paying the pet deposit) this deposit can be substracted from any security deposit she's provided at the end of her lease.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back