Temporary guardianship (PA)

Tdsbsb1993

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
My son (14) will live with my daughter (24) until he graduates high school. Will she need power of attorney or temporary guardianship to register him for school and what is the difference between the two?

My son (14) will live with my daughter (24) until he graduates high school. Will she need power of attorney or temporary guardianship to register him for school and what is the difference between the two?
You should be in touch with the school district to find out what their requirements are.

As for the difference between the two, it would be smart to do a web search for the phrase "What is the difference between temporary guardianship and a power of attorney in Pennsylvania?"

My son (14) will live with my daughter (24) until he graduates high school.

Why?

Will she need power of attorney or temporary guardianship to register him for school

That's an excellent question for someone at the school and a poor question for anonymous strangers on the internet who know nothing about the policies of some unknown school in Pennsylvania (it's also a question you should ask your child's medical providers). That said, why can't you register your son yourself?

what is the difference between the two?

A power of attorney ("POA") is a document by which one person (the principal) confers on another person (the agent or attorney-in-fact) the authority to conduct transactions on the principal's behalf with third persons. A POA can be very broad or very narrow in scope.

A guardianship (whether temporary or permanent) is a proceeding whereby a court gives a person other than the child's parents authority over the child's person and/or estate (i.e., assets). A guardianship does not terminate the parent's rights but suspends them as long as the guardianship exists.

Why?

That's an excellent question for someone at the school and a poor question for anonymous strangers on the internet who know nothing about the policies of some unknown school in Pennsylvania (it's also a question you should ask your child's medical providers). That said, why can't you register your son yourself?

A power of attorney ("POA") is a document by which one person (the principal) confers on another person (the agent or attorney-in-fact) the authority to conduct transactions on the principal's behalf with third persons. A POA can be very broad or very narrow in scope.

A guardianship (whether temporary or permanent) is a proceeding whereby a court gives a person other than the child's parents authority over the child's person and/or estate (i.e., assets). A guardianship does not terminate the parent's rights but suspends them as long as the guardianship exists.

The high school in my district isn't great and it's the only school. My daughter lives 15 minutes away in a bigger school district. The only way he can attend in that district is if he lived there so that's why he will stay with her. I will check withe the district and thanks for the clarification.

I suspect that they're not going to allow this. It's pretty obvious that your child will still be living with you. It's not their first time around the block...

Back