Temporary assistance benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

David061689

Hello,
So I am in a halfway house and was on temporary assistance from the department of social services. I came into about $2,600 and was denied for future benefits when I went and recertified. My counselor told me to spend all the money on whatever I could so I could get back on Dss. Obviously things within reason. So I went and spent it on things I was in debt for. For example past credit card bills, things in collections, ect. All seemingly legitimite. The case worker told me that this should be fine and as long I was under 2,000 my benefits should be turned back on and they would pay back for the month I had been shut off. I gave her all the receipts for everything I paid and provided her with a bank statement showing that my account now had only $800 in it. My only other asset is a car worth about $3,000. She made it seem like everything was going to be fine and I spoke to her the other day after about a month of waiting and she said after speaking to her supervisors supervisor my case was going to remain closed because I'm not allowed to just go spend my money to get back on Dss. Now I am left with no money in my account and still having to pay for the halfway house. My counselor says he is going to talk to Dss for me because in the past when he has run into a similar situation the person was able to spend the money and everything was fine. Is him calling going to make a difference or is it really against the law to spend your money like that to get back on Dss? Personally I don't want to be on it anymore but because he wants to get paid the full amount for the month rather than the sliding scale he's going to fight for me to get back on it. After giving you all the background my question is in your opinion will I get Dss again or will I get denied and if my case does remain closed when can I reapply again?
Thank you for your time

There are definitive rules that apply. You did not follow them. It sound like you did not pay attention to the terms outlined by the worker for acceptable use. You had 2 basic options.

http://otda.ny.gov/programs/applications/4148A.pdf
1} Give them the money or 2} Be disqualified from benefits for a certain period of time.
The only exceptions were spend the money on the following:

Within ninety days of receipt of the lump sum, you document to us that you have used any or all of the lump sum for the
following exempt resources:

-to purchase an automobile that is exempt from the Temporary Assistance resource limit and needed to seek or retain employment or for travel to and from work activities (maximum amount $9,300, or higher if set by the local department of social services);
- to open a separate bank account or bank accounts that is exempt from the Temporary Assistance resources limit such as a First or Replacement Automobile Account for the purpose of purchasing an automobile to seek or retain employment (maximum amount $4,650), or a College Tuition Account for the purpose of paying tuition at a two year post secondary educational institution (maximum amount $1,400);
- to purchase a burial plot that is exempt from the Temporary Assistance resource limit; or
- to purchase a bona-fide funeral agreement (maximum amount $1,500) that is exempt from the Temporary Assistance resource
limit.

If you use up the remainder of the lump sum within 90 days of receipt and document to us that the remainder has gone into
one or more of these exempt resources, we will reopen your case back to the date it was closed if you reapply and are found
otherwise eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back