Televised Poker Business, Commercial Fundraiser??

Status
Not open for further replies.

banksy

I have started an entertainment services company for a major televised poker tour, where we provide:

-Media Event Welcome/Launch parties
-Player Hospitality Suites and Lounge
-Concierge/Porter Service

All which are complimentary put on to give back to the players on tour.

To raise funds for the business we host poker tournaments where players pay to buy into the event in exchange for prizes, knowing that the money will go to providing these services for the players.
Along with these services we also will be promoting and donating money's made from the tournament to legal charities or directly to individuals or familes in need.

My question is: If we are set up as an LLC in California, do we have to file as a commercial fundraiser, being that we are involving charities or charitable acts within our tournament and advertising? Or is it looked at as a donational tax write off, being that we are an LLC not acting on behalf of a charity but donating funds which we allocate?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated, Thank You.

You need a real legal consultation. I wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole without one - no offense. You're talking about gambling and an activity related to its promotion. While you may think you're technically not part of that business by providing "complimentary services" you may not be immune from being within the scope of gambling laws and restrictions that may apply. Most fundraisers also have numerous laws that apply as well and the closer you are to a gambling endeavor the more likely you are to be scrutinized.

The best advice I can give you is to not hesitate to meet with an attorney before you begin this business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back