Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct telephone harrassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilplayer

This guy i know gave this girls number out in a chat room after he made a fake profile of her. he has been charged with telephone harassment. can the prosecution prove that?

How could we know what proof the DA has?

With a subpoena to the ISP and a record of the IP address, they can probably trace it back to your friend. If they are going through all this trouble then there must be a little more to it than simply giving out a number ... I wonder if some offers were made in her name to the effect of, "For a good time call me at ...."

Normally I can't see a DA wasting his time with a chat room prank ... something more is going on here if they are actually going ahead with this.

- Carl

they really are making a big deal out of she has asked the to drop the charges and they wont i think he did make those offers

Apparently someone made a stink ... could be the girl's parents.

How old is the girl? If she is a minor, then it can make a lot of sense because that could have put her in some real potential physical danger!

Your friend should consult an attorney first thing Monday morning if he has not done so, yet.

What state is he in and what is the code section under which he has been charged?

- Carl

What is the code section he is charged with?

It seems odd that they would go through all this trouble if even she wants to drop the charges. Maybe at the next hearing they will drop the matter.

- Carl

2917.21b telecommunications harassment he has a prior from 1999
For the same offense? If so, he needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

2917.21(B) No person shall make or cause to be made a telecommunication, or permit a telecommunication to be made from a telecommunications device under the person's control, with purpose to abuse, threaten, or harass another person.

This offense is a misdemeanor of the first degree and punishable, it seems, with jail time up to 180 days and a fine of up to $1,000. Community service would seem to be an option.

He needs to speak with an attorney.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back