Teaching issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Student1

So I'm in my class one day and my friend, who is in Driver's Ed, went up to my teacher and asked if she could drive today. The teacher replies with, "No, with all that has happened lately I don't feel like you should be driving." After the class is over my friend goes to talk to her about it. The teacher states that the reason that my friend can't drive is because of me, how she thinks that I've been giving her an 'attitude' even when I haven't talked to her when she hasn't spoken to me first. My friend asks how this is her fault and that she can't do anything to stop how I behave and the teacher agrees that she can't stop me. Then she goes on to say to my friend that, "You should really rethink who you are friends with, because if you hang out with people like that then you will get a bad reputation too." After my friend telling me this after school I go and talk to the teacher about it. I ask her why she is talking behind my back and that it is some sort of bullying, harassment, slander, or some other legal definition. She raises her voice and says that she's not talking behind my back and proceeds to say it to my face, then goes on to say, "I've seen growth in character in your friend, but I can't say the same about you, I'm disappointed." I tell her that I don't see how it is my friends fault how I act, and she says to me, "You don't know anything." And I could include many more examples of what she said to me, but I think I've made my point clear. Should a teacher be talking to her student like this? Should a teacher punish another student for one another's actions? Is this slander/bullying/harassment or something else?

It sounds to me as if the student needed to have someone talk to him like this. The teacher is free to determine who is allowed to drive on what day on whatever basis she likes. And no, it is neither slander, bullying, nor harassment.

Go to your American History or your Civics teacher and tell him or her that you need some remedial coaching on the the right of an individual to state their opinion and how it applies to your Drivers Ed teacher.

So I'm in my class one day and my friend, who is in Driver's Ed, went up to my teacher and asked if she could drive today. The teacher replies with, "No, with all that has happened lately I don't feel like you should be driving." After the class is over my friend goes to talk to her about it. The teacher states that the reason that my friend can't drive is because of me, how she thinks that I've been giving her an 'attitude' even when I haven't talked to her when she hasn't spoken to me first. My friend asks how this is her fault and that she can't do anything to stop how I behave and the teacher agrees that she can't stop me. Then she goes on to say to my friend that, "You should really rethink who you are friends with, because if you hang out with people like that then you will get a bad reputation too." After my friend telling me this after school I go and talk to the teacher about it. I ask her why she is talking behind my back and that it is some sort of bullying, harassment, slander, or some other legal definition. She raises her voice and says that she's not talking behind my back and proceeds to say it to my face, then goes on to say, "I've seen growth in character in your friend, but I can't say the same about you, I'm disappointed." I tell her that I don't see how it is my friends fault how I act, and she says to me, "You don't know anything." And I could include many more examples of what she said to me, but I think I've made my point clear. Should a teacher be talking to her student like this? Should a teacher punish another student for one another's actions? Is this slander/bullying/harassment or something else?

I suggest you discuss this with your parent(s).
They are in the best position, with the proper authority to guide you.

By the way, as a minor, you are considered a legal incompetent.

No court will allow you bring a lawsuit before it.

Your parent(s) is(are) your voice.

Student1;200243}Is this slander/bullying/harassment or something else?[/QUOTE said:
No, it is not slander, bullying, harassment, or "something else" illegal.

It sounds like she was very clear and forth-rite with her opinion of you. I suggest you take the criticism to heart.

I'm not saying that she can't say that. And I'm not trying to get a lawsuit against it. But she isn't just criticizing, because she didn't say what she said to our school principle. I have told my parents about this. She does have her 1st amendment of free speech, but the problem I have with it is that she is trying to turn my friend against me. Saying that she shouldn't be friends with me. And I don't think that she should be trying to pry into our personal life's.

Last edited:
Doesn't really matter what you think, I'm afraid.

The bottom line is that there's no "case" for anything here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back