1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Tax Sale for Delinquent Water/Sewage Charges

Discussion in 'Liens & Encumbrances' started by ChrisAnn, Aug 4, 2020.

1. ChrisAnn

ChrisAnn Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    New Jersey
    Hello. I recently received a tax sale notification because of delinquent water and sewer charges from 2008 and 2010. This is the first time I'm hearing about this and I believe it's an error. I'm meticulous about paying my bills on time so I'm sure these were paid. If not why are they are contacting me now and not years ago? My bank only keeps records for 7 years and I doubt I still have the canceled checks. What can I do? Is there a statute of limitations for these charges? Any advice is appreciated. I don't want to lose my home!

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

I don't think there is any statute of limitations. All I found was a bill that was proposed in 2016 to make a few changes for clarification. The existing provisions of the laws still stand even if the amendments weren't passed.

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2016/Bills/S1500/1367_I1.PDF

There is no mention of an SOL and it appears that arrears can accrue indefinitely.

Unfortunately, if you cannot provide documentation of payment, you'll have to pay what they want to avoid the tax sale.

How much money is involved?

3. ChrisAnn

ChrisAnn Law Topic Starter New Member

Thanks for the info. It's over $1,800 including fees and interest.

4. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Maybe you can get the fees and interest waived for a full cash settlement on the balance. Get it in writing.