Tax money for Private College

T

tgentry

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Is it legal for the county government to give a Private for profit college money to stay afloat?
I will paste some of a article from our local news team here in Augusta.

Paine College and the county administrator meeting again, working to figure out how to help save Paine.
They say they owe millions of dollars and want help from Augusta to stay afloat. The school says they owe nearly six million dollars, but they also want 1.5 million dollars in the bank.

"We are still moving ahead we are still talking about what we can do together," Interim Paine President Dr. Samuel Sullivan said.

That could mean millions of your tax dollars will go to the private school.

"We're talking about everything from give us 3 million dollars, to lets talk about to how can we address the needs of our city other than giving us a lot of money," Sullivan said.

Sullivan thinks it's extremely important the city and the college come together to prepare a final proposal.

"It's going to need a little bit more time for us to work through what we think would be the real advantages for the school and for the city," Sullivan said.

Sullivan wants a plan that will convince the city and commissioners the college is worth saving.
Paine must provide a progress report to an accreditation board by the end of February. They must show there is a plan in place to make sure the school is on the right financial track.

"We expect and we hope that the city would be involved in this coming together of the constituents of our city," Sullivan said.

By June 30th, a vote will determine if Paine keeps its accreditation or not, but if they lose it, Sullivan says the school is likely to close.

"The history of Paine in this town is worth saving," Sullivan said.

Is it legal for county tax money to be distributed to a private corporation?

A few years ago the federal government bailed out banks, insurance companies, brokerages, and auto manufacturers.

Local governments routinely subsidize for-profit businesses with tax benefits and land deals.

So, yes, it's legal

Yes, it's legal & I don't believe they would be considering doing so if it wasn't.

Is it legal for the county government to give a Private for profit college money to stay afloat?
I will paste some of a article from our local news team here in Augusta.

Paine College is not a 'for profit' school.
Paine College was founded by the leadership of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, now United Methodist Church, and the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church, now Christian Methodist Episcopal Church. Paine was the brainchild of Bishop Lucius Henry Holsey, who first expressed the idea for the College in 1869. Bishop Holsey asked leaders in the ME Church South to help establish a school to train Negro teachers and preachers so that they might in turn appropriately address the educational and spiritual needs of the people newly freed from the evils of slavery. Leaders in the ME Church South agreed, and Paine Institute came into being. .... The College remains a small, predominantly Black, coeducational, church-related school, gratefully related to its founding denominations and open to all.
History of Paine | Paine College

Back