Tax Lien for State Income Tax Owed

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeedtoKnow2288

My husband and I lived in GA and worked in FL for 4 months of 2004 and 4 months of 2005. Our employers did not take out state income taxes for GA (FL doesn't have state income tax). Therefore, we ended up owing a total of $3800, which we didn't have. We were going to wait on a demand for payment and then try to submit an offer in compromise. We put our FL address on the 2005 return. We never received anything from the state.

Last night I checked our annual credit reports and found a tax lien in GA. I called and it is $6584 for those returns that weren't paid. They said they sent three notices. However, they had my address as the GA address. They said, "Too bad if you didn't receive the demands for payment. Now you have a lien and next we will come after your wages and checking accounts."

Question #1 - What is the lien on? We don't own property in GA.

Question #2 - What do I do now?

They may have you simply because you lived there for a short time and made some money.

When I worked for Nabors Drilling USA out of texas, I lived in Montana, and worked in North Dakota. They witheld for North Dakota. I Paid my Montana income Tax, and then filed my ND for my return of my money.

Talk to a tax person in your area. That lien isn't good, not good at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back