Naturalization, Citizenship Tax Implications of Dual U.S.-German Citizenship

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsvtex

Hi all,

I am a U.S. citizen legally entitled to claim German citizenship under Article 116, para. 2 of the German constitution (restoring citizenship to people whose citizenship was revoked by the Nazis for political, ethnic, or religious reasons; and to their children and grandchildren).

I was wondering what my obligations to Germany would be if I do claim citizenship? I know military service is waived for "paragraph 2" citizens, but I'm very concerned about taxes. Will I have to pay German taxes while living and earning money in the U.S.? What about if I live and earn the money in an E.U. country besides Germany? And what about estate/inheritance taxes if I am to inherit U.S. assets owned by U.S. citizens, whether I'm living in the U.S., Germany, or another E.U. country?

Are their potential obligations to Germany I'm not thinking about? I will retain my U.S. citizenship, as both countries allow in these circumstances.

Thanks a lot!

This is not legal Advice!

Just a quick reply,

Your Quote: "Will I have to pay German taxes while living and earning money in the U.S.? "

Answer: You will have to pay tax for the country you do all your business in. Example: You live in the USA work in the USA therefore you pay tax in the USA.

Your Quote: "What about if I live and earn the money in an E.U. country besides Germany?"

Easy Answer: Same as above you are living in a E.U country and earn in a E.U country therefore you pay the tax of that country.

Your Quote: "what about estate/inheritance taxes if I am to inherit U.S. assets owned by U.S. citizens, whether I'm living in the U.S., Germany, or another E.U. country?"

Answer: It matters not where you live when it comes to this matter as you will have to obide by the laws of that country, so if you inherit in the USA you will be subject to there laws.

Hope that helps you out but i leave you with this thought, the grass allways seems greener on the other side of the fence. I personaly think Europe can be quite complicated to live especially in the muliti mix of laws, languages and ways of life in general. If you are a US native, then i would try Europe for a period of time before you make the plung. "Thats just my opion though, some people think it is great!"

Take care

Mark

To add to what Mark said, you might want to check out some other forums which deal on EU law or German law. Most people here if not all are into US laws only. You could post your tax law in the tax section too......you might get lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back