Consumer Law, Warranties taking advantage of the elderly

Status
Not open for further replies.

marco1

I recently moved in with my mother,she is 78 and has lived alone for a long time. I noticed my mother had been recieving a lot of call sfrom a credit union in Lansing, Michigan. I asked my mother what these calls were about. My sister and niece took my mother to co-sign for a 20,000 dollar car loan, which my niece promised she would pay for. She has not been paying on the loan. My Mother thinks that she is not responsible because she is only the co-signer. I tried to explain that she is resposible thats what a co-signer means.
She is now very worried because she can't pay for the loan, she is on a fixed income. What can I do for my Mother?

Kick your sister's and your niece's butts. If she has left anything to the niece in the will, she might want to change it to indicate that the $20K was an advance against her inheritance. Depending on your state, she may have the right to transfer title to the car into her own name, for all the good that does, and the niece can pay her if she wants to continue to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back