Suspended Liscense, What do Cops Know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSAgEeZeR

So I recently had my liscense suspended for a possession charge. I only had about .3 of weed when I was pulled over. He gave me possession, and at my court date the judge suspended my liscense for a year. Here is my question. When a cop is behind you, and say he runs your plates, what can they find out? Reason I'm asking is because, now that my lisence is suspended I can't get insurance, and can't register my car w/o insurance. Now that its a new year, my car needs to get registered. I Photoshopped a 2006 Sticker for my plates that looks perfect. The car isn't registered under my name, but under my parents. Will I be safe driving around like this? Could a cop find out if it's registered by running your plates or do they only look for the sticker? I just want to know if it's possible to get pulled over if I don't give them any reason to pull me over. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Stephen

It would be a pretty stupid thing to do, because by affixing a fake registration sticker on the car you would commit a whole bunch of crimes as there would be: forgery, uttering, driving without insurance, driving with a suspended license and so on.

Depending on your state's criminal code forgery can be a felony which means serious jail time would be a possibility.

Since your license is suspended you are not allowed to drive. Period.

And yes, cops can and will find out, they can see insurance status, registration status etc. on their screen. You would be surprised at how much interesting information one can get in a police cruiser equipped with a computer

Last edited:
yes

Yes, but the car isn't registered under my name. But under my parents name. I just want to know if I'm at a light and a cop looks over at me, if just by looking at my plates will give them sufficient reason to pull me over even if I have the current reg. sticker.

it does not matter on whose name it was registered. If it is being driven with a fake sticker the cop can find out in a second if the car is insured or registered. This way you only drag your parents into your illegal behavior, because they could also become liable.

I don't understand why you insist on getting a felony conviction on top of your already existing record. In New York you would be looking at 4-7 years in prison.

If that is the case, why when you get pulled over do cops ask for your Insurance and Registration if they can tell if you have both just by looking up your plates? And I took your advice and instead of making a sticker, I took one from some dude I don't like. So its a REAL sticker, just not mine :]

suspended license

my license was suspended in New jersey and i was pulled over in Ga for driving can i get jail time and if so how much or is there just a fine but i live in new jersey would i have to come to court in georgia please reply

suspended license

license was suspended in new jersey for no insurance and speeding tickets, i was caught driving in Georgia while visiting they gave me a court date but i live in new jersey and could not make the court date will the issue a warrant for my arrest and can i get jail time and if i did come to georgia for the court date will i receive jail time and if so how much
TroubleNGA

Yes, if you don't show up a warrant for your arrest will be issued. How much you get depends on your record and the laws in GA but jail time is pretty unlikely.

TroubleNGA said:
license was suspended in new jersey for no insurance and speeding tickets, I was caught driving in Georgia while visiting they gave me a court date but I live in new jersey and could not make the court date will the issue a warrant for my arrest and can I get jail time and if I did come to Georgia for the court date will I receive jail time and if so how much
TroubleNGA

In Georgia it depends on the agency in which you did not show up for court. Some places in Georgia will issue a warrant for your arrest but it would only be in Georgia. Meaning you could get arrested or detained in New Jersey but after a officer confirms the warrant on you they will not hold you because the agency in Georgia will not pay to have you transported back to Georgia. Now some agencies will not even issue a warrant for your arrest. They will just issue you a Georgia drivers license and suspended it. This will affect you in New Jersey because New Jersey is a compact state with Georgia. Meaning Georgia will contact New Jersey and inform them that you have suspended license in GA. so when you try to get your New Jersey license reinstated they will not give it to you until you pay to have your GA license taken care of. Now if you get caught in Georgia you will be in jail until you bond out or go back to court. If you cannot afford to pay the fine I have seen people sit in jail anywhere from 30-90 days. In which (most of the time) the court will allow your time served to be your punishment and the fines will be dropped.

Best thing you can do is contact that department that issued the citation for driving on a suspended license and send them payment. This will take care of everthing...They will just add in a extra fine for not showing up.

SSAgEeZeR said:
So I recently had my liscense suspended for a possession charge. I only had about .3 of weed when I was pulled over. He gave me possession, and at my court date the judge suspended my liscense for a year. Here is my question. When a cop is behind you, and say he runs your plates, what can they find out? Reason I'm asking is because, now that my lisence is suspended I can't get insurance, and can't register my car w/o insurance. Now that its a new year, my car needs to get registered. I Photoshopped a 2006 Sticker for my plates that looks perfect. The car isn't registered under my name, but under my parents. Will I be safe driving around like this? Could a cop find out if it's registered by running your plates or do they only look for the sticker? I just want to know if it's possible to get pulled over if I don't give them any reason to pull me over. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Stephen

I can only speak for myself but....If I am on patrol I hardly ever just look at a tag. When sitting at a red light I can run anywhere from 6 to 8 tags in the time it takes for the light to change. What can I find out...stolen check on vehicle, insurance, registration (expired,suspended,canceled,un-registered), registered owners license information, Warrants issued on registered owners, and driving record. Just for making a decal (which many people try these days) you could receive citation for expired tag, reproduction of a revalidation decal, altered tag, improper tag, the vehicle can be impounded for being expired. Not to mention that you would go to jail for driving on a suspended license. In this state after your vehicle goes without insurance for a certain length of time your registration will be suspended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back