surveillance and video monitoring in my backyard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dockson

I'm hoping I'm in the right forum for this problem...I'm having problems with my neighbors kids. Our backyards are connected, divided by a "good neighbor" fence. Their kids have been throwing things(rocks, branches, a knife, etc.) at my 2 dogs. I've had to take my dogs to the vet for mysterious injuries. I haven't been able to catch them, it seems to happen when I'm not home. I've tried talking to the parents but they don't believe their kids are doing this and maybe my others neighbors are. My other neighbor is a 60 year old couple, so I doubt that.
What I'd like to do is install a hidden surveillance camera in my backyard, not showing any of the neighsbors backyards to prove to the kids' parents, yes your kids are throwing things into my backyard, here's the proof.
But I'm not sure if this could invade on anyone's privacy or breaks any CA laws.
Does anyone know? Any help is appreciated!!

I feel your problem!! Although I am in IN come Monday morning I am going to make some calls to an attorney to see if in fact we can do the same as you want to do. I am sincerely sorry to hear your dog has become a target. don't be shocked if in fact you contact someone and they tell you "well, cant you bring your dog inside?" I have access to 3 cameras and I am definately going to find out our rights in our state. Have you thought about inquiring with surrounding neighbors to see if they have seen anything? Does what is happening to you sound like something these children would be capable of doing? My thought is this....on MY property I should be able to video tape or take pictures of anything I want, we do live in a free world. I have seen on the news where people have been harrassed to the point they carry video cameras everywhere they go and have documented things....and won in court. So if I were you I would check with an attorney, then make my decision. I hope your situation ends soon not only for you but for your best friend as well! good luck, let us know what happens!

Thank you for your response. Please let me know what you find out when you contact an attorney. I'll do the same.
I have spoken to my neighbors and they haven't seen anything but do believe this kid is capable of this. In fact, my neighbor across the street has a dog that he kept teasing until she caught him, then she yelled at him so he's stopped. But I haven't caught him because he seems to do it when I'm not home. When I leave the house now, I keep my dogs in the house and I've gone so far as to enclosing my patio so my dogs don't go near the fence now. When I'm outside the patio area and my dogs are with me, I make sure they don't go near the fence but they have a dog as well (german shepard), and he jumps on the fence constantly and has broken 3 boards already. I'm afraid their dog will get out sometime and attack my dogs (mini-dachshunds).

I agree we do live in a free country and I should be able to video tape anything in my backyard but unfortunately, these days, the laws have allowed people to sue for the dumpiest things.

Thanks for listening!!

sadie said:
I feel your problem!! Although I am in IN come Monday morning I am going to make some calls to an attorney to see if in fact we can do the same as you want to do. I am sincerely sorry to hear your dog has become a target. don't be shocked if in fact you contact someone and they tell you "well, cant you bring your dog inside?" I have access to 3 cameras and I am definately going to find out our rights in our state. Have you thought about inquiring with surrounding neighbors to see if they have seen anything? Does what is happening to you sound like something these children would be capable of doing? My thought is this....on MY property I should be able to video tape or take pictures of anything I want, we do live in a free world. I have seen on the news where people have been harrassed to the point they carry video cameras everywhere they go and have documented things....and won in court. So if I were you I would check with an attorney, then make my decision. I hope your situation ends soon not only for you but for your best friend as well! good luck, let us know what happens!

I'm looking into that as well. I want to butt my new fence(possibly vinyl fencing) up against the good neighbor fence(which means I lose some of my property) but I need to find out about the responsibility of the good neighbor fence, should it fall down or something.

sadie said:
BTW----maybe its time to do something about your good neighbor fence as well.

Contacted local attorney and found out that we may infact use a video camera and or rewgular camera anywhere we choose to use them. It only becomes illegal if we use it for example ..to photograph/tape inside their house via windows...etc...that sort of thing. I am going to get on it today and get things rolling. Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back