Other Debt sued over medical bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaybrubaker

Medical debts...

We are being sued over ER bills that went to collections. When I first got the bills I knew I was going to fight the hospital over them because they care that was given was terrible, so after fighting with them for 5 months I got a response I wasn't nit happy with so I continued to fight the hospital, still no word except that it was being sent to collections. Now we're being sued over it, but we have had other bills from this hospital go to collections in the past and we have never been sued for them. On 1/22/14 our bankruptcy was finalized. But before then they included my other bills from that hospital into it that occured a month before the ER trip but because I fought this one I didn't think about it. I need to know that to do I can't afford to be sued. And pay the $1,500 it have my husband check garnished he is the only one working.

We are being sued over ER bills that went to collections. When I first got the bills I knew I was going to fight the hospital over them because they care that was given was terrible, so after fighting with them for 5 months I got a response I wasn't nit happy with so I continued to fight the hospital, still no word except that it was being sent to collections. Now we're being sued over it, but we have had other bills from this hospital go to collections in the past and we have never been sued for them. On 1/22/14 our bankruptcy was finalized. But before then they included my other bills from that hospital into it that occured a month before the ER trip but because I fought this one I didn't think about it. I need to know that to do I can't afford to be sued. And pay the $1,500 it have my husband check garnished he is the only one working.

Last edited by a moderator:

The bill in question MAY have been disposed of by your recent bankruptcy.
I suggest you discuss this with your BK attorney.

It is SOMETIMES possible to send the collection agency your final BK ruling indicating that your debt has been discharged.
Generally, forgetting to include a debt doesn't mean it wasn't discharged.

Good luck...

Fine. I'll add what I wrote earlier.

In a simple no-asset Ch.7, generally the debt will be considered discharged. That's only part of the equation though - if the Trustee decides that you deliberately omitted the debt, the creditor will usually be allowed to collect. That's the positive scenario. The thing you need to worry about is the Trustee deciding to throw the entire discharge out.

Talk to your bk attorney.

Perhaps they are being conservative in their treatment because they know they are not going to get paid regardless. If you can lose $1000 or lose $10000, which would you do? It became so bad with deadbeats in Cleveland OH calling an ambulance to go to the hospital for a small cut, they started demanding $250 up front to provide service or offered a list of doctors you could go see. Your claim of not paying due to poor service is absurd. You never intended to pay in the first place. They just upped the ante. There are insurance options for those with low income, including the hospital adjusting the charges if you see the credit office and prove you are low income.

Last edited:
Even if you did receive poor service, doesn't mean the hosp. bill doesn't have to be paid. ERs are many times busy places & I'm not even sure that you did receive poor service. It seems there were other bills you didn't pay either but just weren't sued for that were eventually discharged in bankruptcy. Talk to your bankruptcy attorney as suggested re this bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back