Sued by Friends Shady Landlord... WAGES BEING GARNISHED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

akarels

Hello,

Let me give a breif overview of what is happening:

I stayed at a friends house for part of the summer in 2001. I was hoping to talk with the landlord and get on the lease, but he lived in Chicago while the house was in Minneapolis. The landlord said that he would come up with a lease to have me sign as soon as possible.

During this time the people that were on the lease asked if I could write a rent check for them b/c they didn't have checking accounts. I made a foolish mistake and wrote the check on the promise that their payroll checks would be given to me on payday, we figured that the check would be in the mail still and everything would work out. The thing that didn't work out is that I was never given any checks to cash! When the landlord attempted to cash the check it bounced! They said that they were sorry and that we would send a valid check right away. This was the first thing which made me reconsider signing the lease.

By the time the landlord was paid for that month, it came time for rent to be paid agian. They asked if I could write another check, and that they were sorry about before. I agreed, and guess what happened? The check bounced again and now I knew for sure that I had no intention of staying there or signing the lease. I moved the few items I had there to another friends house and I thought that was that.

I then found out a few months later that the landlord decided to take everyone that lived there to court and that no one showed up and he won a judgement for $4100. I would have shown up if I had known I was involved, but I was never served papers. Also, I don't see how I should be liable for any of it considering I never made an agreement with the landlord. I learned this from his atty who had somehow found my Dad's address and mailed the judgement papers there.

At the time I was completely broke, and had no idea how to take care of the situation. I just sat on it, until about a month ago when Garnishment papers showed up in the mail! I have no idea how to go about rectifying this, and I need some advice!!! I feel that I shouldn't be liable for any of the judgement because I never signed a lease, and the landlord can't prove how long I stayed there. What are my options?

I was thinking about trying to find a statement showing the check that I gave to the landlord (for everyones rent), and arguing that he was allready paid for the tiny bit I was there.

This is a really messy situation, and any help would be appreciated!

Thank You,
-Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back