Sucks to be me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

djtripp20

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Guys I need some advice, and it seems no one in my city wants to help. Let me give you the short story on what happened...

In early October, I was followed home in my vehicle by an unknown woman for about 20 minutes. By the time I got near my apartment, I realized that she was following me and went to a store parking lot instead. After calling the police, officers arrived and notified me that the women (another vehicle had arrived by this point to accompany the first vehicle chasing me) were accusing me of stalking them for a year's time. I told the officer that this was false, I did not know the women, and a report was taken.

The next day, a woman identifying herself as the accuser's sister (the individual we later determined initiated the chase after me) called my parent's residence. My parents live an hour from me, and no reference was made to them in the initial report. She addressed my mother by her legal name (not her common name) and threatened to send both her husband and her sister's husband to me. My mother is not listed in the phone book either, so how they got their information and names are beyond me.

I went to obtain a Good Behavior Warrant from the courthouse the next day to make sure everyone keeps their distance. I learned that one had already been placed on me from the accuser herself right before I sat down at the desk. A few days later at work, I was served with a Temporary Protective Order and order to appear in court Oct 30 to determine whether it should be extended for 12 months. The same day, I hired an attorney to help me defend my case.

On the TPO, there were several alleged stalking incidents ranging from Nov 1, 2006 thru Oct 2, 2007. Only one of them had a specific date (something listed other than "Nov 2 thru Dec 16 - numerous occurences") and it was Sept 26th at Circuit City. They said they would provide a surveillence video as their proof that I was there and stalked her. On that date, I was at work (30 min away) from 10am to 8pm, and I had the certified timecard to prove it. I felt like this would prove my innocence, and didn't think much of it. It was a sad case of mistaken identity, but I had a lawyer and a timecard that would certainly prove my side.

The day before court, we obtained the Circuit City video and I was not on it. Yet again, another strong piece of evidence. We arrived in court, heard their side, pled our side, and expected to walk out with the victory, and perhaps even a TPO protecting me from her and her family. Unfortunately, the opposite happened!

- The timecard was submitted without objection, proving I was no where near Circuit City.
- The surveillence video was never submitted by the procsecution because they said they could not get it to work.
- The accuser and her family made false claims on the stand, including getting her sister and husband to claim that I was "200 percent" the guy.
- The judge, through "strong identification" granted the TPO and then said I was responsible for $500 toward her attorney fees.

I am outraged to say the least. I can live with the TPO, since I am going to be no where near her anyway that is fine, but the fact that I am supposed to pay her $500 now is ridiculous! I proved that I was not the person she claimed I was. What do I do now? I don't want to pay her any money! I don't have $500 dollars to throw at her and I don't have the $2400 my attorney wants to appeal. I'm shocked that even with the evidence, the judge still did this. Can I appeal just the fees part? What happens now? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back