Sub-tenant roommate in PA needs advice -- posessions removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumblebee5

In December 2001 I rented a 1 bedroom apt. from someone who used it to prove residency, and slept here "rarely," just enough to make a show. As long as I accommodated these rare visits, it would be my apt, I would pay 70% rent and utilities.

3 days after I moved all my things in I was told things changed. They'd be here 3 nights a week, and I was to throw out some of my things to make more room for them. A nasty debate culminated in a signed agreement for 60% rent, I do 100% cleaning & upkeep, and a few other accommodations to them. He agreed to my things being kept boxed & neatly stacked against the wall, which they were.

10 days ago, he "changed his mind." and ordered me to remove my things. I didn't act fast enough, and he showed up today to remove them himself. I protested, said I'd find alternatives. He agreed, only to have his son show up an hour later to help him remove my belongings in spite of what he said.

Because of my situation it will take me a long time to find another place. I have no car, am isolated with few friends, have low funds (I am on SSDI) with a recent bankrupcty & have limited mobility. The stress is affecting my physical and emotional health. They are taking advantage of all this, and I am afraid he will use my things as leverage for more surprises.

My rent has always been on-time... Do I have any rights or options here?

You have a right to at least 30 days notice. He cannot kick you out. If you have a written agreement, he may also be required to give you written notice.

Most importantly, how long is the term on your lease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back