Sub-division property?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrJMS812

My jurisdiction is: Illinois

I live on the river and the road dead ends next to me into a small plot of land. I have maintained that land for the 9 years I have lived here and before that the previous owners maintained it. it is supposed to be a small boat landing. The problem is, people party till the early morning, drive off road vehicles and dump rocks and garbage. You can no longer even launch small boats anymore without getting stuck or destroying a tire on your trailer.

I originally thought the land belonged to the township and they were going to lease it to me, long-term. When they discovered it was not thiers, they then refused to do anything with it, including fixing the ruts and cleaning it up.

After a search, it turns out that the property belongs to the sub-division I live in, the same people that have destoyed it and made it un-maintainable. There is no covenent that the county can find, but they say the land cannot be sold or leased because it is a "park" "owned" by us the property owners.

No one seems to care about this property but me. Is there anything I can do, is there any legal way to obtain this property?

The building of this sub-division goes back to the early 70's

Last edited:
For starters, you should do a public records search. You can probably do that online. Locate the recorded documents that created the subdivision. And if there are no covenants regarding maintainance responsibilities, check to see if a map was recorded depicting all of the lots and the park. The park was created for a reason: probably native growth protection near that river. Chances are that you may find that stated on that map. You may not be able to buy it but perhaps there may be a way to legally prevent folks from trashing it. Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back