Stuff against our fence

A

Amjuly

Jurisdiction
Washington
Hi, my neighbor put a pile of wood and 2x4's next to our fence and it is pushing it in. He also has big pieces of plywood leaning against it. Our fence isn't super strong, it's just enough to keep our dog in our yard because he hates animals and called animal control and asked if our dog ever came in his yard if he could kill it. Our dog loves kids and is very friendly. Any way we are wondering if we can push the big slabs of plywood over off the fence and what we could do if anything about the other stuff he has piled against it. I'm worried it might knock our fence over or make my dog able to get over it with all the wood pushing on it and make her able to climb over. And it looks bad. Would we get in trouble for pushing it over off our fence?

Would we get in trouble for pushing it over off our fence?

Yes. It's called vandalism.

But then, what he is doing is also vandalism to a certain extent.

I suggest you take dated photos of the condition from both sides of the fence.

Then your options are:

1 - Call the police and report the vandalism. See how that goes.

2 - Put him on written notice that he is damaging the fence and that you will sue him for the cost of repairs if it comes to that.

3 - Do something to support the fence on your side and forget options 1 and 2.

I know that's a tough pill to swallow, but my own experience with crap neighbors is that you can't beat them. It's like fighting with a pig. You just get dirty and the pig likes it.

Ehhh.... I wouldn't go so far as to call it vandalism unless something is actually damaged.

#2 and #3 above are reasonable ideas.

Do you know for sure that it is YOUR fence? Do you own the property or rent it? If you rent have you informed the owner?

Do you know EXACTLY where your property line is? Fences aren't always on the line. Maybe it isn't your fence at all?

One other option, if the fence is yours, is to tear it down and build a better one that resolves the problem.

All that said, if the wind were to blow the wood off the fence that would be a lot better than you pushing it. Just saying...

Back