Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse Student Visa - Court Date - Leaving Country - ACD

Status
Not open for further replies.

so9891bu

I recently got arrested for smoking marijuana in a public place in NYC. I got an attorney and got out within that day. However, the court date is in a couple weeks and I was planning on leaving the country prior to that and coming back right before the date. But I am here on a student visa and I was wondering if I would be able to leave the country and then come back without them rescinding my student visa or without too much trouble from the immigration officer. I spoke to an immigration lawyer who said it should be fine but I should get a letter from my attorney explaining the situation and that the charge will probably be dismissed. However, I spoke to a different lawyer recently who said that I should not leave the country because the officer has the option to rescind my visa completely and then I will not be able to get back into the country.

I was also wondering if worse case scenario I got that ACD option instead, would I be able to leave the country during the 6 month to 1 year period or would I be confined to the States during that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back