Hello
  1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

stubborn tenant

Discussion in 'Other Residential Landlord & Tenant Issues' started by jerseyjoek, Aug 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerseyjoek

jerseyjoek Law Topic Starter New Member

I moved to PA last year and rented out my house in Florida to a handicapped section 8 tenant. I'd like to start showing the house before her lease is up on 10/1/01.
    After failing to pay the security deposit and only half of her 2nd months rent,letting the house deteriorate (neglected pool to the point of ruin, tore out hundreds of dollars worth of landscaping, burying junk cars in the two feet of unkempt lawn, etc.) she is refusing to let any agents in to show the house! Can she do that?
    The Section 8 people have been no help and aside from not looking forward to a vacant house I fear I will never recoup ANY of the money that I'm owed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Thanx,
    Joe
    :confused:

2. brian

brian New Member

Why don't you evict her? Additionally, isn't there something in the lease that would allow you to enter?

3. jerseyjoek

jerseyjoek Law Topic Starter New Member

Thanx but I don't want to evict her because then the house (and my bank account) would sit empty until I can sell the house. I found most of the info I needed at
    http://www.mv.com/ipusers/nhpoa/other.htm

Thanx anyway
    Joe

4. Michael Wechsler

Michael Wechsler Administrator Staff Member

Be very careful with Section 8 housing. If I remember correctly from my prior experience with it, you should have a special Section 8 agreement and you may be required to give them notice. This would mean more than a phone call that puts someone on notice. Before you do anything you should read that lease very carefully, as well as the rider if there is one. It may state explicit procedures that you might have to follow.