Consumer Law, Warranties stores online contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawcannuckin

I went to seminar by Storesonline and wanted comments on the contract they presented under somewhat due pressure.

One clause in there mentions a fee of $1500 for web site maintenance fee but it is optional whether you want to use their service or not. On bootom it says we paid a processing fee for a one day seminar which includes breakfast and lunch and binder fullof notes ,free classified ads and free web site programming charges of $1800 waived if you attend the comprehensive one-day seminar. Since the contract is in USA law I wonder how enforecable it would be in Canada as the instructor acknowledge that it shoudl have been in canada law at the free seminar. I wonder often when usa people come to canada and they are located in USA how a contract becomes enforcable when it crosses boundaries of another country.

And when they get hold of your credit card if you cancel it how easy to get your money back. They always seem to want in the thousands of dollars from you on your card and I heard very hard to get the credit back if you cancel a contract.

Final point is how come no government department regulates these companies that put on FREE seminars then try and get thousands of dollars from you. Only if it gets in hundreds or millions of dollars lost then they become involved . I know for me it iis always Buyer Beware!

Without going into the details here, because to do that one would have to see the contract you signed and what the issues are, so much to your general questions:

American and Canadian law is very similar, so a dispute about a contract probably would be handled in almost the same way in both countries.

Much trickier is the question of jurisdiction and enforcing an eventual judgment. There suddenly the border is a real border. If a Canadian wants to sue someone located only in the States, with no assets or anything in Canada, it basically comes down to the fact that he has to do so in the United States under American law. And vice versa. On the other hand, no legal provisions bar a Canadian citizen from coming here and suing an American and vice versa. It is just a matter of practicability.

Now for the last question, it really is "caveat emptor", buyer beware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back